Monday, June 30, 2008

Vines and Whines Tour

Hi folks! Yesterday, Robert and Gill decided to go on a winery tour through Oliver, the wine capital of Canada. The temperature was around 38 degrees! I went for my first swim in Okanagan Lake. Pugs are ok swimmers, but we need a little help from a PFD (pug flotation device) to keep our hind ends up.
The first winery we visited was See Ya Later Ranch at Hawthorne Vineyard. This was my favorite place because of its appreciation for the puppy dog. It was also my introduction to canine mortality, as the vineyard has a graveyard where the dogs of former owner Major Hugh Fraser are at rest. A big day for a little dog!
I went along to each tasting in yet another pug containment unit, Gillian's straw beach bag, upstaging wine everywhere I went. After Robert and Gill enjoyed their tasting and bought a bottle of SYL brut, we went to the doggie cemetery.
One of the wines is named after this dog, Jimmy My Pal.You know the Irish joke that has Paddy asking O'Malley to pour a bottle of whiskey on his grave, and O'Malley asks if he doesn't mind if it passes through his kidneys first? Well, I paid my respects to the doggies in the cemetery in much the same way.
I had a great time in the beach bag. I can curl up on the bottom, or distract people from their wine tasting by peeking out.
We also visited Hester Creek, Blasted Church, Burrowing Owl, Stoneboat, and Oliver Twist wineries. They really enjoyed the 2007 Oliver Twist Pinot Gris, which is so fruity and delightful, it's almost a desert wine (or so they tell me).

No comments: